Cape Coral Facilities/Utilities Expansion Program
MWH Constructors was the designer and CMAR for this $872 million Utilities Expansion Program and Facilities Expansion Program for the City of Cape Coral, led by Project Manager Larry Laws. This program included over 700 miles of pipelines and 34 pump stations over seven large project areas. The entire program was completed on time and under the City’s budget.
- Nearly 80 separate projects totaling $872 million had to be coordinated to extend existing water, wastewater and irrigation services to nearly 20 square miles of residential areas while simultaneously expanding the existing treatment plant capacities to keep pace with the City’s explosive growth.
- MWH Constructors created a “Customer First” program that was successful in keeping residents informed about the project which resulted in reduction in calls about the project.
- MWH Constructors achieved 3.3 million hours with only one lost time incident and delivered the program ahead of schedule.
- Saved $12 million.
“Customer First Program” included:
- Neighborhood ‘street’ meetings to provide a forum for discussing issues particular to the affected areas.
- Public information meetings.
- Distribution of factsheets, which offer more detailed information about the program.
- Door hangers to notify residents of specific construction activities and schedules.
- 24-hour/7-days-a-week hotline available for citizens to call with questions or concerns (averaged 300 calls/ month).
- A website to provide information on the program and deliver construction status updates as the program progressed (averaged 2,000 hits/month).
- Follow-up to customer concerns and requests.
- Outreach to numerous committees and agencies.